Wednesday 28 September 2016

Making Websites Affordable

I've been a designer for a long time working on large and small sites. Some of the sites I've worked on have been for extremely large brands and some smaller yet they all got the same passion and work ethic.

It's pretty common for designers to be perfectionists and far too precious about their creation yet stakeholders want to get online. To get started because people who have he get up and go to start their own business want to gain traction and to start earning.

I have fallen into this trap many times yet my clients are always happy. I often thought:

"How could I help smaller businesses get online"

The problem being that how can I charge much less for one business than another and then it hit me... pre-fabricated modules.

I could build sites in lightening quick speeds with sections I'd already developed. With larger sites designs would be dictated by the research into personas and user experience. Smaller sites are generally showing off services and general information.

What is a module?

Think of a module as a section of a websites page. Examples of this could be:

  • Contact Forms
  • Image Galleries
  • Slideshows
  • Features List
  • Product Benefits
  • About Staff
  • News
  • Blog Posts
  • Social Media Integration
  • Plus More
With these already semi-designed they could be configured into full blown web pages that would be developed quickly. 

I decided to set up a pay monthly website service aimed at small business owners who were time poor, have little online knowledge and possibly low cash flow and that's where the ByteSize product was born from.

This way I can still work on larger bespoke sites under my company of Killer Bytes and use ByteSize as a product to enter a new market.

Find out more about pay monthly websites here

#2, 7-11 Douglas StPeelIsle of Man IM5 1BA

No comments:

Post a Comment